We write a descriptive essay if we simply need to describe something (it can be a person, a location, an action or even an event). The descriptive essays provide the clear and detailed descriptions. It is a type of essay that does not require exact facts and figures. Moreover, it makes the reader fall to thinking about the gist of the essay. Descriptive essays provide not only information but also a description of the things, places or events in the way the author feels and thinks about them. There is no need for statistics or other facts because the reader should feel the text and imagine it.
The most common way to create a descriptive essay is to convey feelings on the paper. You should write what you see and feel. Try to show your attitude to the place or person that you want to describe. Sit down and start writing a masterpiece about everything around you. Show the reader what you are really talking about in your essay. Let him imagine the whole picture. Your essay should be a narration of what you experienced and perceived. Describe what you see and touch, hear and think, smell and taste. The major point is to provide a full picture.
The descriptive essay needs imagination; nevertheless, the writing skills are also required. You need some guidelines, if you want to know the difference between descriptive and narrative essay. Thus, if you are going to write a great descriptive essay:
- show your experience: make the reader imagine the situation and feel it;
- ask yourself ‘what are my reasons to write about that’, ‘what am I describing’;
- identify the sense you are going to describe;
- determine the way on how you will excite the curiosity of the readers;
- think about how you can make your readers understand what you have expressed;
- use the words that can attract your reader’s attention appropriately;
- follow the structure of the essay (tell the aspects in the right order to make your readers feel the same as you);
- avoid excessive information;
- try to focus at one point on every paragraph.
You should also think about the language of your essay. It should be imaginative and creative (you can easily create the exciting things). The descriptive essay gives you the opportunity to describe whatever you want, so you can write about your desires. Moreover, it can be a problem if you always include a lot of adverbs and adjectives. Try to decrease their quantity in order to make your text more attractive. Besides, you should limit the number of metaphors and similes where they are unnecessary. In most cases, they make the text difficult to understand.
To write a great descriptive essay, you should follow the structure of an ordinary essay. Make the text clear and understandable. Provide your essay with descriptions of people, locations, pictures or events. Your ending should reiterate the beginning of the essay. I am sure that this type of essay will be your favorite.