You are here
Awards Debut To Celebrate Black Podcasters
Nationwide volunteer team works together to spotlight and amplify Black voices.
Brooklyn, NY, Jun 17, 2020 -- After many weeks of working during a global pandemic, Black Podcasting Awards (BPA) welcomes Black podcasters worldwide to apply to win in one to three of its 20 different categories, including Most Informative Black News Podcast, Best Comedy Podcast, Most Black Girl Magic Podcast, Best Black Mental Wellness Podcast, Best LGBTQ Podcast, and Black Podcast Of The Year. Online applications accepted now through July 31. Early birds can catch an $8 fee through June 21 or pay a regular fee of $18 through the end of July.
The 2020 award nominees will be announced mid-September. Winners will be announced during a live virtual broadcast with guest presenters and more on Sunday, September 27, 2020. A forthcoming Kickstarter campaign aims to raise funds to pay for physical awards.
How did BPA come about? Days before a virus stopped the world, Black Twitter vigorously embraced a tweet urging for a Black podcasting awards show that would recognize Black podcasting voices and experiences. Hours later, author-podcaster Georgie-Ann Getton-McKoy founded BPA, booked an event venue, coordinated a crew of volunteers, supporters, and sponsors and set a date of September 27th. Three days before International Podcast Day, September 30, 2020.
Interested in attending, supporting, or volunteering? Please check out Black Podcasting Awards online at blackpodawards.com, and sign up for the mailing list.
Follow @blackpodawards on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Podcasts (and audio submitted) for the Black Podcasting Awards must have been either produced in and/or published between 1st January 2019 and 30th April 2020 inclusive.
- Entrants must have at least six episodes published during the above qualifying period and still be producing and publishing content. If the nominated podcast hasn’t published an episode since 1st January 2020, it is unlikely to qualify for this year’s award competition.
- Content doesn’t have to be in English. If your podcast is in French, Spanish, heck, Russian -- we want you! However, your show notes and application will have to be translated into English for our reviewers. Your podcast can stay in the native language.
- To apply, complete a short form through Submittable, select up to three categories for submission, and provide a promotional reel (10-15 minutes in duration). There is an $18 fee associated with each individual application. Early birds can catch the $8 application fee through June 21.
- Submissions close July 31, 2020, 11:59 PM Pacific.
Black Podcasting Awards is a celebration of the ownership and creation of content for the black experience in the world of podcasting. Through a curated list of categories, we aim to elevate black voices within the podcasting network that may not receive the recognition they deserve. In a marketplace that often overlooks the unique voices and candor of black podcasters we are here to bridge the gap. Our mission is to amplify our own and celebrate those who have paved the way, as well as, provide a foundation for the up and coming voices in the black podcasting arena.