7 Most Common Aircon Issues (And How To Fix Them)
Most homeowners have air-conditioning (or HVAC) units at home to counter the warm weather which summer could bring. With millions of air-conditioner units being sold every year, there bound to be many common issues and problems with air conditioning units.
When such issues arise, we usually find aircon specialists to help us fix the issue.
What do air conditioning professionals provide?
Generally, aircon professionals offer varying level of skills and thus the type of services. As different brands of air conditioner may require different know-how to repair and service, it is important to clarify what they do before engaging them.
The most common types of air conditioning services are:
1. Regular contract servicing/maintenance
2. Air conditioner installation works
3. Air conditioner repairs
4. Chemical overhaul
5. Chemical cleaning / Chemical flushing/ chemical wash
6. Evaluate and advice
7. Aircon installation
8. Diagnostic and inspection
9. Gas top ups and inspections
Common Aircon problems
Here we take a look at the most common air-conditioning problems and how to solve them.
1. Why is the room not cold enough?
The main reasons why the room isn’t cold are as follow:
- The filter is dirty
- Area capacity for air conditioner cooling is too large (i.e. not enough aircon units to cool the entire)/ the air conditioner installed is under-sized
- Thermostat is faulty or temperature is too high
- Not enough compressor gas
- Refrigerant leakage
- Components of aircon may be faulty
- The outdoor condenser is dirty resulting in incapable of producing cooling refrigerant.
- There may not be enough refrigerant in the air conditioning system.
- There might be some problem with the air conditioning system resulting in non-continuous operation of the system.
2. Why is the aircon leaking water?
The main reasons for this:
1. Clogged drainage pipe: Normally, the air conditioner’s water will condensate inside the fancoil. This will usually be released in the drainage pipe. If the drainage pipe is clogged or choked then water will start leaking.
2. Wear and tear of the air conditioner
3. Poor installation of air conditioner
4. The gradient of the piping between the fan coil and drainage is too gentle causing leakage
3. Why is that water dripping from the outdoor condenser / compressor?
This is actually normal as condensation happens when condenser cools the surrounding warmer air.
4. Why does the aircon produce a foul smell?
There may be several reasons for this:
1. Surrounding smell may be absorbed into the unit. Example could be small from furniture, cigerattes, food.
2. Bacteria formed by microbes in the warm dark humid environment in the indoor fancoil unit may be causing the smell. Sometimes when the smell is very bad you may need a more intensive chemical treatment to rectify this problem.
3. Pollutants like smoke from cigeratte or haze could be absorbed by the unit. The solution to this is intense chemical treatment of the air conditioner.
5. Why is my air conditioner noisy?
There cold be several reasons:
1. Vibration noise resulted from dirty indoor fancoil/ outdoor condenser.
2. Noisy draft resulted from dirty indoor fancoil
3. Some components in the air conditioning system may be mounted loosely
4. Faulty parts in the air conditioning system.
6. Why is the aircon not working?
One common reason is that the electrical power is not being supplied to the air conditioner. It could be loose wiring or that the electrical panel is malfunctioning. A qualified professional should be engaged if it is more complicated than a simple repair.
7. How often should I service my air-con?
The basic maintenance that is recommended is the cleaning of the air filter and outer panel of the air conditioner every 2 weeks. This will helps to improve the air conditioning of the room.
For a more in-depth servicing, it is recommended to service 3-4 times a year for residential properties, and once a month for commercial. Please seek the assessment of a qualified technician.
For more guides on air-conditioners, check out SGHomeNeeds blog on aircon repairs and installations. You can look for reliable home improvement professionals in Singapore on SGHomeNeeds.